LIMITED-CAPACITY EVENT WITH SOCIAL DISTANCING WILL FEATURE JOURNEY THROUGH THE BALLPARK, PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES AND MORE
ALL ARE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE IN DRIVE-BY BIRTHDAY PARTY PARADE AT THE MUSIAL STATUE
ST. LOUIS – Oct. 26, 2020 – Originally scheduled for Nov. 21, the exact 100th anniversary of Stan Musial’s birth, this year’s Musial Awards at Stifel Theatre was supposed to be the ultimate celebration of Stan The Man and sportsmanship. But the pandemic had other ideas, and the live Musial Awards show is unable to take place. Still, organizers have found a way to commemorate what would have been the 100th birthday of the beloved Cardinals legend and civic icon. Adapting to the times and gathering limitations, the Musial Awards and the St. Louis Sports Commission will host a “Stantennial Celebration” at Busch Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 21.
The event will give fans a chance to have a special fun-filled experience inside the ballpark while honoring Stan’s 100th birthday. With health and safety in mind, it will adhere to social distancing guidelines and have limited attendance. Fans will select a time to enter the ballpark between noon and 2:45 p.m. and be guided through various opportunities on the field and in the open-air concourse. Organizers estimate the journey will take approximately 45 minutes. Activities will include:
- A walk around the Busch Stadium warning track
- Musial-themed and other unique photo opportunities (taken professionally and provided to attendees digitally to ensure a contactless process)
- A chance for kids to run the bases (weather and field conditions permitting)
- Tribute to Stan on the Busch Stadium videoboard
- “Holding History” museum experience and display featuring Stan memorabilia
- Harmonica salute to Stan
- A pre-packaged birthday cupcake for attendees to take home
Tickets to attend the Stantennial Celebration are $20 and can be purchased at Cardinals.com/Stan100. Free parking will be available to ticketholders.
To provide for social distancing, timed tickets will be sold. Slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Fans may purchase up to six tickets at one time. Attendees will be required to wear face masks at all times, and groups must maintain at least six feet of distance between each other.
Outside the ballpark, fans can take part in a drive-by birthday party procession with Stan’s family and Fredbird at the Musial statue from 1 to 2:30 p.m. The drive-by procession will be free to the public and no ticket is necessary to participate. Cars should approach the Musial statue from Spruce Street west of Busch Stadium. Fans are encouraged to bring a birthday card to drop off for Stan’s family.
The Stantennial Celebration is presented by Maryville University, which, since 2011, has served as the presenting sponsor of the Musial Awards. The event is also made possible through support from Budweiser, Edward Jones, Enterprise, UnitedHealthcare, and World Wide Technology – all national sponsors of the Musial Awards.
In addition to the Busch Stadium event, there are several other ways to join the Musial Awards and St. Louis Sports Commission in honoring Stan The Man’s 100th birthday:
- Fans can celebrate in the comfort of their own home by ordering a Stantennial Party Box. The box is filled with fun birthday treats, one-of-a-kind items, and a commemorative book that celebrates 15 years of the Musial Awards in St. Louis on the 100th anniversary of Stan’s birth. Proceeds benefit the Musial Awards. More information can be found at MusialAwards.com/PartyBox.
- The Musial Awards invites fans to share their favorite memories and stories of Stan on social media or on the Musial Awards website. “Musial Moments” can be posted on social media by using #StanMusialMoment and tagging the Musial Awards (@MusialAwards) or by visiting MusialAwards.com/Moments.
- To celebrate 15 years of the Musial Awards in St. Louis on the 100th anniversary of Stan’s birth, 5 On Your Side (KSDK Channel 5 in St. Louis) will air a Best of the Musial Awards special on Nov. 21 at 9 p.m.
Although its live awards show won’t take place this year, the 2020 Musial Awards will still go on in the form of a one-hour CBS Sports Spectacular that will air nationally on CBS on Saturday, Dec. 26 at 4 p.m. CT. The broadcast will recognize the Musial Awards’ 2020 honorees, including Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron, recipient of this year’s Stan Musial Lifetime Achievement Award for Sportsmanship, and NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace, recipient of the Stan Musial Award for Extraordinary Character.
The Musial Awards – presented by Maryville University – celebrate the year’s greatest moments of sportsmanship and those in sports who embody class and character. In addition to keeping alive the legacy of Stan The Man, the mission of the Musial Awards is to encourage kindness, selflessness, integrity and civility in sports and society – and to inspire people across the nation to be good sports. The Musial Awards has taken place in St. Louis since 2005, and in normal times, occurs the Saturday before Thanksgiving at the historic 3,000-seat Stifel Theatre in Downtown St. Louis. It is produced by the St. Louis Sports Commission and the National Sportsmanship Foundation, a charitable nonprofit organization.