- Sports Commission Internship Program
- Internship Dates And Application Deadlines
- Application Process
- The Intern Experience
Sports Commission Internship Program
The St. Louis Sports Commission offers an internship program – during the fall, spring, or summer academic semesters – to undergraduate university students. Occasionally post-graduate internships are available.
A background in sports administration, sports marketing, sports management, communications, or journalism and a passion for sports are preferred.
The intern’s learning experience is acquired by working normal business hours at the Sports Commission’s office, and at events produced by the organization. Generally internships are not compensated; parking is paid.
Internship Dates and Application Deadlines:
Fall 2017: September 12 – December 8 – Application deadline is July 12
For questions, please contact Kyle Stegeman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The duration of internships can be flexible depending on Sports Commission and individual student needs.
The Sports Commission is looking for interns to assist the organization with event operations and event marketing. If you are interested in any of those areas, please follow the application process below.
Please submit the following (via email is preferred):
- Letter of Interest (please explain how your skill set and experience make you an ideal candidate for an internship with the St. Louis Sports Commission)
- Two letters of recommendation
To: Kyle Stegeman
St. Louis Sports Commission
308 N. 21st Street – Suite 500
St. Louis, MO 63103
Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview.
This process will focus on the Sports Commission’s time and event requirements and the experience and goals of the students.
The Intern Experience:
The St. Louis Sports Commission is an independent, privately funded non-profit organization with a mission of making the region a better place to live, visit, work and play through sports.
Our efforts focus on acquiring/creating, producing and managing major sporting events for the St. Louis area; and contributing to its quality of life.
The organization also coordinates youth programs and sports clinics through its affiliated St. Louis Sports Foundation and Sportsmanship Initiative.
Interns will participate and gain valuable experience in several facets of the Sports Commission’s work. As an intern, you will be involved in event management, marketing and sales, communications, fundraising and graphic design.
Interns are given major responsibilities crucial to the success of the organization’s events. You will also participate in staff meetings, board meetings and provide assistance to all full-time staff members as needed.
The growing popularity of sport management and marketing in academic programs and the field of sports as a career goal have resulted in greater competition for jobs in the workforce.
An internship with the Sports Commission will give you experience and expertise allowing you to stand out in this specialized industry.
You also will connect with many individuals in the St. Louis business and sports community through your day-to-day work at the Sports Commission.
- Enrolled in an academic program consistent with marketing and management in the sports industry.
- Good writing, communication and people skills.
- Prior sports related experience preferred and helpful.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office software applications such as Excel, Word and Publisher, Outlook and Internet.
Basic Work Elements of an Internship:
- Work days are Monday through Friday with a 35 to 40-hour work week; generally starting at 9 am till 5 pm. As event dates approach, interns may be asked to assist during evenings or weekends.
- The duration of an internship is generally compatible with college / university academic semesters. These are unpaid positions; parking is provided.
- The dress code for interns is business casual – jeans, shorts or sweat clothes are not appropriate.